Re: Please help me make the .template files for Debian CDs smaller

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Richard Atterer wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 11:37:22AM +0800, debian@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:
> > A problem with workarounds is that they lack convenience, and people will
> > forget. May I suggest a bug report against mke2fs and mkfs.minux?.
> > Probably people will still forget (unless it's default behaviour), but
> > the docs might prompt a few.
>
> Changing mke2fs would affect far too many other people, I don't think that
> would be a good idea.

There's room in an ext2 filesystem for a boot record, that's how you can
boot ext2 floppies and put your boot loader into the partition.

The best judge of its harmfulness or otherwise is its upstream
maintainer. A bug report would serve as a prompt for consideration of
the idea.

> I don't know how the floppies are created, but wouldn't it be possible to
> change the script that generates them?

Sure. Then it gets forgotten in a future rewrite.

Seems to me a boot record is a good thin for other reasons. What happens
if you boot a floppy that begins with a bunch of binary zeros?

--

Cheers
John Summerfield

Please, no off-list mail at all at all. This address accepts mail only from Debian lists.