Re: Boot Floppies

"Craig Coles" <craig.coles@altiris.com> writes:

> I see from the contents of the Boot-Floppies package that you are the
> Team Coordinator

Actually I'm not anymore.  Please ask stuff like this to the
debian-boot list, CC'd here, not me personally.

> I am trying to install the package from source (apt-get source
> boot-floppies) because I have been unable to locate the package in the
> regular package list.  I am running my installation out of unstable.

I see it there fine.   'apt-get source boot-floppies' works for me.

> I am having a lot of trouble trying to build the package (debian/rules
> binary) with a lot of dependency problems.

Did you read the README?

Did you do 'make check' ?

> One question is that I noticed that boot-floppies is about at its
> end-of-life and will be replaced with debian-installer, however, I
> couldn't find a debian-installer package.  Is boot-floppies still
> the package to use?

We are no longer actively extending boot-floppies; it is currently
maintenance for stable updates only.  Debian-installer is supposed to
be the installer for Sarge, the next release.  At least, last I heard
it was.

> I want to be able to build the boot floppies then modify the build
> process to produce a boot image that will be booted via a PXE
> network boot process.  I have tested with the 2.88MB rescue.bin
> image and it works...  however I will need to modify the contents of
> the root file system and trim some areas to allow for the files that
> I need.

I can't really opine whether it's better to use d-i or b-f -- you'd
have to be more clear on whether you're just trying to hack this one
thing or contribute to the quality of the installer for the next
release.

> Does this sound possible with boot-floppies?

Sure.

>  Or is there a doc that
> explains how to build the boot/root floppy image that really works?

README ?  Sorry, brother, that's all there is.

> One item I wanted to also ask about, I installed the
> install-doc_3.0.23_i386.deb package hoping for docs to help out, but all
> that was installed was the four docs in /usr/share/doc/install-doc, and
> they don't help.  Is this what is supposed to be installed for this
> package?

Yes, its the INstallation Manual for users installing the package.
There are no developer docs nor ever will be, apart form the various
README and script comments and such.

--
...Adam Di Carlo...<adam@onshored.com>.......<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>