Re: DHCP Network Configuration

On 15 Mar 2003, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> *
>
> | My DHCP server is configured to offer this machine the hostname
> | Nabarlek. My own installer gets the name from the kernel commandline:
> | ip=192.168.0.130:192.168.0.1:192.168.0.1:255.255.255.0:Nabarlek
>
> Is nabarlek available from somewhere in /proc?  In
> /proc/sys/kernel/hostname, perhaps?  If so, I can fix it.

That whole "ip=" string is in /proc/cmdline, but really you can get it
via dhcp as pxelinux did.

Using ip= if it's present is good, but if I used a floppy with a kernel
and initial ramdisk on it, it would not be there unless the user typed
it manually.

FWIW Red Hat, which wrote pump, does get it with dhcp..

--

Cheers
John Summerfield

Please, no off-list mail at all at all. This address accepts mail only from Debian lists.