Re: More on languagechooser

[Denis Barbier]
> The territory part gives language variants, it is not related to
> geographic location.

Right.  We should probably ask for location as a medium priority
question, with the default set to the territory on the selected
locale.  I think it is OK to have this as part of langaugechooser.

Language and location are two independent variables with statistical
relationship.  I agree that we need to treat them independently.

> But the locales package has to be installed and configured in order
> to provide a full i18n support, so why don't we use it?

We do use it.  What you mean?

> Again there are 3 encodings for fr_FR, how will user choose his
> preferred one?

The same way he chooses it in Debian/Woody, I guess.  How is this done
now?  Using 'dpkg-reconfigure locales'?

We need to pick one default, and use this when the user picks French
in languagechooser.  I guess the default encoding used by the fr_FR
locale is good.  If it isn't, it should be fixed in glibc, not in
languagechooser.

One mans flexibility only adds to another mans confusion. I will try
to make sure languagechooser causes as little confusion as possible.