More on languagechooser

[Denis Barbier]
> This is indeed much simpler, but why do you still believe that
> country and language are related?

The locale is a combination of language and region (country).

> This has already been discussed and everyone agrees it does not
> work.  Or maybe this is a hack until a countrychooser package is
> committed?

The current COUNTRY and MIRROR is not really used for anything, and
I'm not sure if it is useful information to have there.  I placed it
there mostly because information like that is in b-f.

The country part of the language is not sure to give correct value for
timezone or download mirror, but is might give an ok starting point.

We need to think about how the language/country information should be
used, and how the required questions should be presented to the users.
What kind of configuration do we want to specify using language and
country?

I can think of a few things we want to set using language/country
information.

 - default dictionary in ispell/aspell/myspell/pspell/emacs
 - default download mirror to use
 - default keyboard layout
 - default locale used by all users after installation
 - default locale used in base-config
 - language used in d-i interactions with the user
 - timezone

More?

> I also do not understand why locales are not selected by the locales
> package; in other words, languagechooser should only set the
> LANGUAGE variable, doesn't it?

No, I do not see the value of having two packages asking for almost
the same information.  I believe asking which locale (language/regian)
to use is better then asking first for language, and then for locale.