Re: rfc: A guide for packaging library udebs

Cardenas wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:57:04PM +0100, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
[...]
>>what would go wrong unless one does the right thing.) In this particular case,
>>it might be interesting to know what the advantage of a subdirectory for each
>>udeb library over a /usr/lib/udeblib is.
> take the example of glib. if you have special compile options for
> glib in d-i, then you create a library with a different soname, and
> different abi, but the same filename as the standard glib thats on
> your machine. in order to link a d-i module against that glib, you
> would have to have the glib-udeb version of the library on your
> system. you wouldn't want to remove your standard glib, right? so, to
> have both installed, you should use a subdir of /usr/lib.
Yes, I see why they cannot be in /usr/lib, but what's the rationale to seperate
the udeb libraries amongst each other rather than throw all d-i libs in one
directory? (Yes, I admit that I don't need to know for doing anything, but it'll
still is a question that made me think.)

Cheers

Thomas