Re: rfc: A guide for packaging library udebs

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:57:04PM +0100, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> [...]
> > Since modules should not be installed on normal systems there is need
> > for a deb package providing this library as well as the necessary
> > devekopment link. The package should be named libfoo-udeb-dev and
> > declare a dependancy on libfoo-dev. The only files libfoo-udeb-dev
> > should provide is the ABI-changed library and the necessary
> > symlinks. Since the development link is identically to the development
> > link in libfoo-dev, the library and the links should be installed in a
> > subdirectory of /usr/lib, e.g. /usr/lib/libfoo-udeb.
> If you want to make this a standard, you should IMHO be more precise about the
> subdirectory: First it should probably not be "e.g.", but rather "the
> subdirectory should be named..." and then you might want to specify the exact
> derivation of the name. (Is it the derived from the library soname, the package
> name, should the soversion be used? Sometimes, those the package name and the
> library name differ, e.g. slang1a).

very true, thanks. it seems, as you have said, that the directory name
should be packagename+soname, so in our case, it would be something
like /usr/lib/glib2.0.0-udeb, for example, since we append the -udeb
to the soname for d-i libraries with different compile options.

> Also, one of the things I like about the Junichi Uekawa's libpkg-guide is that
> it tries to explain the rationale. (At least I myself try to learn by imagining
> what would go wrong unless one does the right thing.) In this particular case,
> it might be interesting to know what the advantage of a subdirectory for each
> udeb library over a /usr/lib/udeblib is.

take the example of glib. if you have special compile options for
glib in d-i, then you create a library with a different soname, and
different abi, but the same filename as the standard glib thats on
your machine. in order to link a d-i module against that glib, you
would have to have the glib-udeb version of the library on your
system. you wouldn't want to remove your standard glib, right? so, to
have both installed, you should use a subdir of /usr/lib.

--
michael cardenas       | lead software engineer, lindows.com
hyperpoem.net          | GNU/Linux software developer

"Every concept grasped by the mind becomes an obstacle in the quest to
 those who search."
- Gregory of Nyssa