Re: udebs for more than just installation

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 06:45:23PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Another approach we're thinking about is regular dpkg support for
> > directory exclusion during package unpack, for things like documentation
> > and localization files.  Of course, that's more an issue for
> > debian-dpkg... :)
>
> Please Progeny guys, make everyone's day and do this. It shouldn't even
> be too hard to do; dpkg parses the tars itself to install files as
> .dpkg-new at first, so you just have to hook into the right places and
> make it do nothing for some files. (Famous last words.) And there is
> even dpkg.cfg already to put the exclude regexps in.
>
> --
> see shy jo, who has a 30 mb (uncompressed) debian install, which was
>             _not_ fun to do

Well, I'll definitely bring this up to the other guys on my team.

I am concerned about the possible consequences of such a feature though,
since it will enable users to break the assumptions of postinst and
prerm scripts.  Such scripts can generally assume that the "package has
been unpacked" when they run.  But with a path pruning feature, some
parts of the package may never be unpacked.

For such a feature to really float is going to demand that people write
their maintainer scripts a little bit differently.

--
Branden Robinson          | GPG signed/encrypted mail welcome
branden@progeny.com       | 1024D/9C0BCBFB