Re: successful bochs install

> ... But the sad truth is the only thing people look at when "reviewing"
> a distro is the installer.  And the CD installer is going to get bad
> reviews because it asks too many questions...

Ya know. I'm kinda fond of the current installer. When I demonstrated the
install to a newer Linux user, I explained that you just have to press
enter a lot. (Which he found amusing by the way)

The only complaint I have after compairing it to other installs is the
lack of autodetection. Sitting and having to figure out what network card
is in someone's random box is probably the biggest bottleneck as I do a
lot of net installations since I keep the campus debian mirror on a
machine in my office.

> asks too many questions.  How much work would it be to create a Novice mode, in
> which one answers questions about language and partitioning and nothing else
> prior to reboot?  I had trouble choosing which language to do the install in,
> now you want me to pick a filesystem?  Novices shouldn't be asked this
> question; ext3 is a sane answer, give it to them automatically.  And having
> picked a CD install, why is the novice later being asked whether to install
> from CD or floppy?  Then later still why is the novice being asked whether to
> install from CD or network?  GRUB and LILO both work, pick one for the novice
> doesn't care.  The main menu has 17 options on it.  Fully half are unneccesary
> for the novice user doing a CD install!

Other than the autodetection, (which is not a simple endeavor I very well
understand) I like it. As far as having a novice mode, maybe fai could
be modified a little to simply put a CD in and put linux on a machine? I
think that would be the least questions a person could ask for. :)

> The current disk paritioner has a crummy interface.  Would it be difficult to
> grab one of the more friendly partitioners (e.g. DiskDrake) from another distro
> and use it instead?

Yeah, good ol fdisk.

> Sorry to be so negative.  I know this is a difficult piece of software to just
> get working on 11 architectures, let alone making it simple.

Amen Brother, I think it's to be largely applauded. That and the fact that
it fits easily onto a set of disks.

My two cents,

-Tim

                     < PRE >
|             T I M    S P R I G G S             |
|        Assistant Sysadmin - Development        |
|        College of Engineering and Mines        |
|            ECE206A - (520) 621-3185            |
                     </PRE >