Re: a graphical interface for debian-installer

* Michael Cardenas wrote:

> Akira, Your udebs look great, but since the last time I talked to you,
> we  discussed some more of the details here on the list with Sebastian
> Lay and Junichi, and came up with the following plan:
>
> It seems that for udebs with libraries, we need to have the
> following:
>
> - put the .so's into a subdir of /usr/lib,
>
> i.e. /usr/lib/packagename/libfoo.so
>
> - debs for libfoo and libfoo-dev
> - udeb for libfoo-udeb
> - debs for libfoo-udeb and libfoo-udeb-dev
> - The latter two will be build dependencies for any other package that
> builds an udeb depending on libfoo.
> - the udeb libraries need different sonames

I have been working on that issue, and made some progress. But every
little progress pops up more problems, so I would be glad if some
library experts can give me some advice.

This is what I have done for directfb (should be a generic issue for
libaries that use other compile options for the installer than for the
normal package):

It builds several packages which are most imporatantly:

* libdirectfb-0.9-16, containing:
  /usr/lib/libdirectfb-0.9.so.16.0.0
  /usr/lib/libdirectfb-0.9.so.16

* libdirectfb-0.9-16-dev, containing:
  /usr/lib/libdirectfb.so
  /usr/lib/libdirectfb.la

* libdirectfb-0.9-udeb-16, containing:
  /usr/lib/libdirectfb-0.9-udeb.so.16.0.0
  /usr/lib/libdirectfb-0.9-udeb.so.16
which will be build as udeb and never be installed on a build system.

* libdirectfb-0.9-udeb-16-dev, containing:
  /usr/lib/libdirectfb-0.9-udeb.so.16.0.0
  /usr/lib/libdirectfb-0.9-udeb.so.16
  /usr/lib/libdirectfb.so
  /usr/lib/libdirectfb.la
which must be installed on a system, where you want to build programs
for the installer.

The problem is obvious: If I keep it like above the -dev packages must
be declared conflicting. But this is not tolerable, because there
could be packages that build a program for the normal distribution
_and_ the installer. So we need both versions of the libraries on the
build system installed, the question is: Where to put the development
link for the udeb version of the library?

Solution 1)
Put everything what is needed for udeb developing in a subdirectory of
/usr/lib. That could be easily accomplished by setting --libdir in
configure. Drawback: Another compile run would be necessary, because
on the installer we want the libraries to reside in /usr/lib.

Unfortunatly this is the only solution I can think of. It is probably
possible to only put the development link of the udeb into a
subdirectory of /usr/lib but I do not know if this would confuse
libtool...

Any help is appreciated as well as comments of whether the concept as
a whole is okay...

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian

--
PGP-Key: http://www.mmweg.rwth-aachen.de/~sebastian.ley/public.key
Fingerprint: A46A 753F AEDC 2C01 BE6E  F6DB 97E0 3309 9FD6 E3E6