I18n in debian-installer

Hello.

I want us to really decide on how i18n is going to work in d-i since
it's something that may cause big design changes.

There are several things that need translating:

- Debconf templates. These are not a problem, we happily use po-debconf
for this and everything is UTF-8 and great.
- Dynamically generated menus. I can think of three right now.
  1. The main menu
  2. anna's retriever question
  3. anna's module selection question
- Other random strings. The partitioning/mkfs/mounting tools need to be
friendlier, they can't just spit out strings like
"/dev/discs/disc0/part1" without explanation. How will these strings be
translated?

There is support in main-menu for using Description-LL fields from the
control files in order to do i18n but it is largely untested since we
don't really have any translated control files yet. anna could do the
same thing, for both questions. Is this a good way to do it?

Does this mean putting UTF-8 stuff in the control files? Can we
integrate it with po-debconf?

How do we make it easy for translators? All things in a package that can
be translated should be collected in one place, making it as easy as
possible for translators. Can we use DDTP, grisu? How do we build our
packages so they will automatically get the latest translations of
everything?

As usual, I've probably missed something, but I really want some
discussion going.

/Martin