Re: [d-i] Choosing the install kernel?

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> The base-installer in cvs chooses kernel image using the
> debian-installer/kernel/image template from rootskel.  I'm woundering
> how I am supposed to set up my install CD to use another kernel.
> Could anyone explain how this is supposed to adapt?  One do not want
> to install the same kernel version when installing woody, sarge and
> sid.
>
> There used to be some code in base-installer to choose kernel based in
> distribution and architecture.  Now the code in rootskel only chooses
> based in architekture (and is missing a defaul value, I suggest the
> virtual package kernel-image.  See patch).  The kernel choosing logic
> should be able to pick the best kernel available.  Any ideas on how to
> do this?

I got no reply, but have been thinking about the problem.  Now that
base-installer and kernel-installer is two different packages, there
is a simple solution to this problem.

We make a new udeb, kernel-chooser, depending on rootskel and the
packages setting mirror/distribution, and set kernel-installer to
depend on kernel-chooser.

This now package kernel-chooser will look at the current architecture,
distribution and possibly /proc/cpuinfo, and choose the best kernel
among the packages implementing the virtual package kernel-image.  The
name of the kernel is stored into debian-installer/kernel/image and
the correct package is installed by kernel-installer.  Any objections?

> On a side note, I believe we should change the default install kernel
> on i386 to 2.4.20.  Any objections?

I did this, and it seem to work just fine.