Re: partition selection

I think instead of dismissing the report on this thread as the user or
external tool error issue, we may want to consider this as important
*usability* issue.

After all, partitioning problem is most frustrating and most serious
cause of major problem during install to the dual boot system.

If Mike as *DD* got hit with this problem without getting some good help
message, most new usesr will suffer too.

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 02:16:32PM -0800, Matt Kraai wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 01:40:59PM -0800, Michael Cardenas wrote:
> > I created the partitions with partition magic.

If you are dual booting, I tend to stick with lowest common denominator
tools, i.e., M$ tools for partitioning to be on safe side.  But I know
the result is the same as you described.

> > Should we change di-utils-mount-partitions to recognize more types?
>
> No, the partition type should be corrected.

But this information needs to be provided to the user on this screen.
For example, "please press here if you have problem".  Then it should
lead you to a longer message to tell the user to go back to the
partitioning menu and change partition types to Linux without moving
partition boundary.

I have recent experience of re-repatitioning Windows XP system using
somewhat old fdisk(Linuxcare mini-CD) and trashed HD contents and
partition due to the mismatched C/H/S configuration between Linux and
windows.  This kind of experience make me *partition* system using
dummiest tool (on windows side) first with the way dummiest tools will
understand.

As we all understand, windows diskpart(NT/2000/XP) / fdisk(95/98/Me)
will not mark Linux partition type and disk boundary has sometimes
strange limitations.  This lead many of us to partition system with
these wondows programs despite the smartness of newer partitioning
tools, I think this is safer approach to repartitioning for dual boot
system.

Osamu
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract