Re: squashfs compressed file system

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 01:17:58AM +0000, Kenneth MacDonald wrote:

>     Glenn> The reason gzip compression is used on intrd's is becasue
>     Glenn> the kernel and some bootloaders (grub at least) support it.
>
>     Glenn> It would be great is we could use better compression on the
>     Glenn> initrd.
>
> Take a look at http://www.websamba.com/chrissicool where there are kernel patches to enable bzip2 compression of initrd.

It doesn't work with with 2.4.20, the initrd part rejects, there are a
lot of changes.
I applied (was version 1.4, i was not able to find the newer version)
only the part to compress the kernel with bzip2, but it crashs after
decompressing.

damn, the savings are nice

Christian Leber

--
  "Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
   nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est."       (Aurelius Augustinus)