Re: squashfs compressed file system

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:27:59 -0600 (CST)
Drew Scott Daniels <umdanie8@cc.UManitoba.CA> wrote:

> It looks stable enough now, but I wonder why it hasn't been included
> in the Linux kernel (even 2.5?). I also have to question the value of
> zlib compression vs other types of compression, but then I suppose
> that zlib usually gives better compression than none. If I ever get to
> it I'll try writing a zlib replacement that uses a PPM variant, but it
> seems unlikely that I will.

The reason gzip compression is used on intrd's is becasue the kernel and
some bootloaders (grub at least) support it.

It would be great is we could use better compression on the initrd.

Ill have a look at squash fs for comparison, but if it isnt in the main
kernel its hard to depend on it for the installer, it could be used in
custom builds though i guess.

Glenn