Re: anna and Release files

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:37:38AM +0100, Martin Sj?gren wrote:
> Tollef and I have been discussing what to do with Release files. The
> current state of anna is that it tries
>   main/debian-installer/binary-$(ARCH)/Packages*
>   local/debian-installer/binary-$(ARCH)/Packages*
> This is suboptimal. :)

At least the advantages are not clear to me.
Change to sequence. ( fetch first from 'local')
When 'local' is does not exist, then fetch from the regural archive 'main'

Can the udeb Packages files placed at installer/binary-$(ARCH) ?
So that
   local/debian-installer/binary-$(ARCH)/Packages*
   main/debian-installer/binary-$(ARCH)/Packages*
becomes
   local-installer/binary-$(ARCH)/Packages*
   installer/binary-$(ARCH)/Packages*
?

> There are a few problems with getting this information from Release
> files though.
>
> * First of all, not all media will have Release files. A floppy will
> rarely have a Release file for example. This means that either anna will
> have to handle missing Release files, or retrievers will have a command
> for fetching or (in the case of floppy-retriever) creating a Release
> file (like floppy-retriever generates a Packages file from udpkg -f)
>
> * The Release file is in  dists/$(SUITE)/Release  and the paths in it
> are relative to  dists/$(SUITE).  The udeb paths in Packages files are
> all relative to the "root" of the retriever area, whereas the Release
> file's paths will be relative to "root"/dists/$(SUITE).
>
> These two points can be solved fairly easily in at least two ways.
>
> * Let the retriever worry about the Release files. There will only be a
> 'packages' command to the retrievers. It's up to the retriever to figure
> out which Packages files to include. The retriever will merge them into
> the location where anna will find a single Packages file to parse.
>
> * Let the 'packages' command take a path argument, relative to
> dists/$(SUITE). We'd ask for e.g.
>   net-retriever packages main/debian-installer/binary-$(ARCH)/Packages
> but for floppy-retriever this is a moot point since there will only be
> one Packages file (which is actually generated) and no Release file.
> Should the Release file be generated, or just skipped?
>

> A bigger problem is how to determine *which* paths in the Release file
> are related to d-i! :) grep for 'debian-installer'? Ick!
>

> Any suggestions?

Skip the Release file at "anna level"
d.i. is just a bootstrap.
a few minutes laters we have a working full size apt-get
which gets the real Release file.

> /Martin

Geert Stappers