RE: PreDepend error in upgrading to Woody from CDs

David wrote earlier:

> I note that in /var/cache/apt/ archives/ libc6-dev_2.1.3-10_i386.deb
and
> libc6-dev_2.1.3-18_i386.deb and libc6_2.1.3-18_i386.deb appear, not
the
> later version you indicate

OK, that's the version that's waiting to be installed, as
the error indicates. Can you browse on the CD itself, to

/cdrom/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/

to see what version is there?

If it's the same, then there could be some problem with dependencies
on the CD. If it's different, you haven't successfully gotten
the CD recognized by apt. I have a woody source CD set which was
done just about the time woody released, with libc6=2.2.5-6,
so I'm betting it will be around there, unless it's a pre-release CD.

David replies:

Interesting, the version is 2.2.5-11.2... for libc6, glibc-doc, locales,
and libc6-dev

I'm puzzled. The CD was being scanned and read. Sources.list correctly
has the CDs identified. Dselect supposedly is taking care of the rest.
What was it I'm supposed to do to get it to read the correct files on
the CD?

As for trying to upgrade via apt-get I will confess to ignoring:

"Don't forget to mount all needed partitions (notably the root and /usr
partitions) mount -o remount,rw /(italicized)mountpoint

I forgot, and other than getting rote instructions, I don't know how to
complete this command, my obvious stabs at it failing. My shelf full of
documentation offers no useful clarification