Re: PreDepend error in upgrading to Woody from CDs

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 08:13:02PM -0500, David Turetsky wrote:

> Chris replied:
>
> Do you have a source for stable in your /etc/apt/sources.list?
> The stable (woody) libc6 is 2.2.5-11.2, way beyond what apt
> thinks you're trying to install.
>
> Maybe you need to apt-get update, with the woody CD #1 in the drive.
> I haven't done any CD installs, so I'm just guessing here. But apt-get
> update performed on the network downloads a list of the version numbers
> of all the packages. It needs to understand you want a newer version.
>
> David replies:
>
> Yes, I've been running apt-get update and all the rest with the woody CD
> #1 in the drive. All seven of the drives are listed in
> /etc/apt/sources.list, AND ONLY THOSE SOURCES
>
> I'm inclined to try again with a mirror site added to the list on the
> theory that a predepend is missing from the CD set
>
> David subsequently added:
>
> I note that in /var/cache/apt/ archives/ libc6-dev_2.1.3-10_i386.deb and
> libc6-dev_2.1.3-18_i386.deb and libc6_2.1.3-18_i386.deb appear, not the
> later version you indicate

OK, that's the version that's waiting to be installed, as
the error indicates. Can you browse on the CD itself, to

/cdrom/debian/pool/main/g/glibc/

to see what version is there?

If it's the same, then there could be some problem with dependencies
on the CD. If it's different, you haven't successfully gotten
the CD recognized by apt. I have a woody source CD set which was
done just about the time woody released, with libc6=2.2.5-6,
so I'm betting it will be around there, unless it's a pre-release CD.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003