Re: [BusyBox] RFC: giving respawn init actions a controlling tty?

On Fri Oct 04, 2002 at 08:39:17AM -0700, Matt Kraai wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> The `Execute a shell' option is broken because BusyBox init does
> not give controlling terminals to respawn actions.  Erik, what
> would you suggest?

Sorry for the delay -- I was out of town for a few days last week
and didn't have access to email.

Funny you should ask.  I recently started a thread on the subject
on the linux-kernel mailing list.

sysvinit does not provide a controlling terminal to any init
actions, but it also doesn't try to do any getty-like things
either.  The best ideas so far are either 1) use openvt from a
respawn init action, or 2) change busybox so that if a tty is
specified init will try to get a controlling terminal but
silently fail if that is not possible and carry on as usual.

I'm going to try and get this worked out tomorrow (Monday),

 -Erik