Re: Dells, APIC, ReiserFS, custom boot-floppies and bootable CDs, oh my!

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 12:13:37PM -0500, Timothy J. Miller wrote:

> 1) Compile 2.4.18-bf2.4 without APIC support.  I can do this in my sleep.
>
> 2) Put the custom kernel image above on the boot-floppies.  I'm not
> exactly clear on how to do this; do I simply copy it to the disk
> replacing linux.bin (and running rdev.sh), or should I get the
> boot-floppies build scripts to include it?  If the latter, how?

This will be the easiest way to do it.  Yes, that is all that you need to do
to replace the floppy kernel.

> 3) Build a new CD image (disc 1 would be enough; my users don't have to
> know that disc 5 is bootable too 8) containing the customized bf
> images.  I have no clue how to proceed on this one, and I can't find any
> documentation on it.
>
> Can anyone help?  Should I go to another list?  Or should I shoot the
> users and go live in a hut?

If it is not an option to boot from floppy (but install from CD), then
you'll need to go this route.  The tool for doing this is debian-cd, and the
mailing list is debian-cd@lists.debian.org.

--
 - mdz