Dells, APIC, ReiserFS, custom boot-floppies and bootable CDs, oh my!

I need help. I have a problem. I have Dell laptops to support. "Dude, you're getting a piece of crap BIOS!"

Anyway, I need ReiserFS for the root FS on these systems, and I need the ability for the users to install it themselves from scratch (don't ask). Unfortunately, the release bf2.4 flavor kernel image enables APIC, which tickles the crappy BIOS, which responds by locking up tight, so the released boot-floppies and CD image are useless to me. And, of course, the "noapic" boot option doesn't work for some reason (several people out there have noted this but no-one has an idea why).

I do have an old, old, old Debian 3.0 Unofficial test CD image with boot-floppies images that don't have APIC enabled, but it's severely out of date--which complicated the install, so I can't use them.

Now, as I see it, I need to do these things:

1) Compile 2.4.18-bf2.4 without APIC support.  I can do this in my sleep.

2) Put the custom kernel image above on the boot-floppies. I'm not exactly clear on how to do this; do I simply copy it to the disk replacing linux.bin (and running rdev.sh), or should I get the boot-floppies build scripts to include it? If the latter, how?

3) Build a new CD image (disc 1 would be enough; my users don't have to know that disc 5 is bootable too 8) containing the customized bf images. I have no clue how to proceed on this one, and I can't find any documentation on it.

Can anyone help? Should I go to another list? Or should I shoot the users and go live in a hut?

-- Cerebus