Re: [d-i] debconf, partitioning widget?

* "Chris Tillman"

| For the installer, porting is a major effort, because architectural
| differences are greatest when dealing with the hardware at a low level
| such as during partitioning/booting. i386 is the _best_-understood.

True.  Help for other architectures is appreciated, and needed.  After
my vacation is over (sometime in August), I'll hopefully have a
working i386 installer and begin getting this working on sparc.  Apart
from that, I have an old Quadra 700 which I might play around with,
but that is _not_ a priority for me ATM.  (Since I don't have the
right cable to network it.)

it would be nice if somebody started working on getting d-i to work on
ppc, for instance.  I don't think I can get my hands on recent ppc
hardware, and creating an installation system on a system which
requires a linuxppc cd in order to boot is doomed. :)

other arches like mips, mipsel, hppa, s390, arm etc will have to be
taken care of by people who know those arches.  The same goes for our
Hurd and *BSD people -- if you want to release with woody + 1, you
will have to have a working installation system.

| Then once you get something done, you also have to get it documented
| and translated.

Development docs are actually written as we go.  Translations and user
docs are absolutely needed, but impossible to do at this point.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-