Re: Graphical installer

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> That depends on your point of view.  For new Linux users, it is
> really, _really_, bad.  For more experienced Linux users, it is very
> flexible and powerful, but not easy, convenient and fast.
>
> I want a Debian installer for new Linux users. :-)

Since the current installer takes over the terminal and guides the
user through the installation, it seems to me that it does the same
job as other installers which happen to be graphical.  But with one
difference.  The Debian installer does not use the mouse but instead
uses the cursor keys and the enter key.

So I have to be specific and ask you is that specifically what you
think new Linux users need?  An installer that uses the mouse instead
of the cursor keys and enter?  Are new Linux users really troubled by
using the cursor keys instead of the mouse?

[insert poignant pause]

I should stop here and pause for the answer but I can't.  Think of
this as a followup to my own posting without even waiting to post it.

I would divide what the new user thinks of as the installer up into
parts.  The installer.  The tasksel/dselect package selection step.
The debconf and non-debconf configuration step.  Let's talk about them
individually.

The installer is actually pretty nice and I will cautiously say that
is probably what most experienced Debian people are refering to when
they say the installer is not that bad.  But I am betting that is not
what the new Linux user is referring to when one talks about the
installer.  I am betting that they are including the rest of the
process with it.

The tasksel step for package selection is a good thing.  It is much
better than not having it.  However, it is a pretty big brush right
now and paints huge strokes.  It needs refinement.  This has been a
topic on the lists.

But dselect step is another thing.  IMNHO for the new Linux user it is
very intimidating.  Many experienced Debian people openly admit that
they avoid using it.  I believe the dselect experience leaves new
Linux users with the same opinion as posted above.  I never run
dselect and avoid it both during the install and at other times.

Packages which do not use debconf have left users with bad experiences
as well.  I believe this has mostly been fixed up in recent versions
of packages.  But previously it was very annoying to have
unpredictable intervals of time between question and answer
customization sessions which would occur during an install.  You never
knew when you could leave the installer unattended without it stopping
waiting for a reaction from you.  Again, I believe most of those
packages with issues have been addressed in recent versions.

Even for packages that use debconf the messages can be very annoying.
An example.  Do I really need an OK-only dialog box to warn me about
ftp globbing attacks?  Does the CVS package really need to make a
repository even if I only need or want the client apps?  Let's not
bash on those but they are typical examples.  In fairness there used
to be many more but much progress has been made in that area.

Finally the CD package distribution is not so nice yet.  I often see
people say that CD #1 is all that 99% of the population needs.  But
having done a CD installation in the last week I disagree.  There are
many packages which I consider core which are not in CD #1.  I usually
do a network installation and never see that difficulty.  But if you
install from CD you find that you really do need several disks.  (I
don't know which disk rsync is on but it is not on #1.  How about
sudo?  How about NTP?  How about gawk?  How about fakeroot?  The list
continues.)  I realize tradeoffs need to be made and not everything
can fit but that is different from what people say about most people
only needing CD #1.

The core installer is pretty good.  But the new Linux user thinks all
of the surrounding environment is the installer too.  It is their
first contact with the system.  It is all part of the installation
experience.  I don't think the installer is the problem.  But until
everything else is improved complaints will continue about it.

Bob