Re: gtkfb in d-i

I'm going to cc debian-boot on this, in the hopes that someone who has
made more udebs than I can help out.

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 03:48:14PM +0100, Sebastian Ley wrote:
> Michael Cardenas <mbc@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > I have some time to help you now, since I'm mostly done with my grad
> > school applications.
>
> Congratulations! I have to admit, that I didn't have much time the
> last week either, and there are still some questions troubling me,
> that delayed the progress. See below.

well, I haven't been accepted yet. :)

> > I saw a few of your posts on debian-boot about the udebs you're
> > making. How is it going? How far along are you? Are you only
> > packaging gtk-directfb and its dependencies?
>
> The biggest problem is, that I am uncertain, that I fully understood
> the udeb-concept. At first I thought, that we had to package the
> libraries as in usual debs, but leave all out all the stuff we don't need in
> the installer, i.e. documentation, unecessary modules and so on. The
> rules/control file for glib you sent me did exactly this.

Yes, that's what the documentation said, and I followed the busybox
udeb as an example. Apparently, I should've followed a library as an
example, like libd-i.

> But then I looked more closely at the docs and other udebs, and now I
> am uncertain, if our approach is correct. As I mailed to debian-boot,
> it says in build/README:
>
> | Apt is used to download the required udebs. This does *not* include
> | libraries; libraries used by udebs must be installed on the build
> | system, and so are build-depended on.
>
> The libraries are then copied from the build system to the
> installer-tree by mklibs. My question is now: Is it okay to put our
> libraries (deirectfb, glib, atk, pango, freetype...) into udebs or do
> we need to use build dependencies?

So, everyone has said that they have to be build dependencies, which
seems very confusing to me, but I guess that's what we should do. We
can just make our debs a build dependency for cdebconf, since the gtk
module is part of cdebconf.

> Anyway these are the dependencies we need to fulfill for gtk-directfb:
>
> - gtk-directfb
> - atk
> - pango
> - glib
> - directfb
> - freetype
> - libc with pthreads
> - png
> - jpeg
> - tiff

wow!

> The last three libraries are optional, but we want at least one, to be
> able to display images. I have more or less done jpeg, freetype and
> direct fb, you have done glib and pango, which leaves us with atk and
> gtk-directfb.

Well, last I tried my pango udeb didn't compile. I guess I should get
back to making that work.

> A problem ist libc. As a first try I added my udebs to localudeb and
> to pkg-lists/base. The libraries get installed to the trees but mklibs
> does not recognize them, so the functions from libc needed by our
> libraries are not in the reduced libc. Especially no pthreads library
> will be copied to the tree... I am a little stuck here...

So, here is the line from the Makefile in the builddir for mklibs, and
it still doesn't look like you need to make the libs a build
dependency, but we'll figure that out.

        # Library reduction.
	mkdir -p $(TREE)/lib
	$(MKLIBS) -v -d $(TREE)/lib `find $(TREE) -type f -perm +0111
	-o -name '*.so'`

So, can you send me the output of the makefile, so I can see what
error it puts out? it's possible that your libs are not getting found
by the find command.

> > Let me know what I can do. I'll have a few hours this week to work on
> > it.
>
> If my udebs are not total crap, we only need atk and gtk-direct fb
> (from http://www.directfb.org) to complete the library stuff.

Ok, I'll look into finishing my pango deb, assuming my udebs are not
total crap, and then look into atk.

We should probably put out work up somewhere so that other people can
look at it. I could put it up on my d-i site.

> > Also, I emailed tolleff about using X, but he hasn't responded
> > yet. I think the problem with using X is that d-i can currently only
> > install udebs, and making udebs for X would be a very large task.
>
> I guess you are right here. So we stick to gtk-directfb?

Until I hear differently from Tolleff, yes.

> > thanks for your help
>
> Hmmm, haven't done too much ;-)

you've done as much or more than I have to get these udebs working.

--
michael cardenas       | lead software engineer, lindows.com
hyperpoem.net          | GNU/Linux software developer

"You say that my poems are poetry. Well they are not, and until you understand why they are not, you won't see their poetry."
- Ryokan