Re: Testing d-i with uml?

"Chris Tillman" <tillman@voicetrak.com> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 02:55:18PM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
>>
>> As mentioned, I'm working on accessibility support for d-i.
>> As brltty will only fit on the cdrom target, I'll have
>> to use cd install for testing.  NOw since I don't have
>> excess hardware, and esp. no cd burner, I need to find
>> a way to test things in UML.
>
> I don't know anything about UML, that may be a better way. But I've
> successfully used this strategy to test the CD-based pgi: I just
> use mkisofs as if I was burning the CD, but use a disk partition
> as the target. Then I boot that partition manually.

Yeah, nice.  The big big problem there for me is that I can't see the normal
monitor, so if I did that, and reboot into the installer, and something
didn't work while loading the driver for my display
(which would be the first thing :) ) I couldn't debug
what happened.  By using UML, I can connect two displays, one
to the host for debugging, and one to the installer-instance for verifying
if starting-up and possibly detecting the display works.

--
CYa,
  Mario