Woody install problems on standard pc

Hi all,

I'm trying to install debian on a

PIII-500 128MB, Asus P2B, AIC7890, 3c905b, ibm Harddrive, CD-Rom, etc

I've downloaded the debian cd images and boot from them. If I use
standard installation (linux) the installer couldn't find my harddrive,
if I use compact, the installer finds the HD, but can' install the
network adaptor. Since one file is corrupt
/instmount/pool/main/u/util-linux/bsdutils_2.11n-4_i386deb
and the network adaptor is not available (don't know how to specify irq
and io as command arguments :-(
Boot process can't be finished.

Since I think, my system is more or less standard, I've no idea where
the problem is....

Thanx for your help,

   Tom