Woody install problems on standard pc

Hi all,

I'm trying to install debian on a

PIII-500 128MB, Asus P2B, AIC7890, 3c905b, ibm Harddrive, CD-Rom, etc

I've downloaded the debian cd images and boot from them. If I use
standard installation (linux) the installer couldn't find my harddrive,
if I use compact, the installer finds the HD, but can' install the
network adaptor. Since one file is corrupt
and the network adaptor is not available (don't know how to specify irq
and io as command arguments :-(
Boot process can't be finished.

Since I think, my system is more or less standard, I've no idea where
the problem is....

Thanx for your help,