Re: woody install problems

I'm wondering why I've not received any responces. Am I on the right list?

Gary Seven wrote:

I'm having a really tough time installing woody on a tyan tiger mp or mpx. No matter what what I do the install either:
- detects no hard drives at all
- finds the drives, but hangs during file system initialization
- gets to the point of writing files onto the file system, then hangs
part way thru.

Oddly enough, I've had this same mother board, drives, drive controllers, etc running RH7.1; but now, neither RH7.3 or woody will install on the system (can't find the rh7.1 discs to re-try it).

Win2K installs and runs just fine. Which sorta indicates that the hardware is fine.

I've also tried different drive controllers. The system was originally running with two cd writers on the MB's primary and secondary ide channels and the drives on a 3ware ide raid card. However, I suspect that the file system performance was really poor and I want something to compare to; so I wanted to remove the ide raid card and test the file system with the one hard drive and cd writer on the MB's ide.

For the installs with the pci ide cards I did use bf2.4.

I've even changed MB's. The orginal MB was a tyan tiger MP purcahsed a year ago, second was a tiger MPX purchased recently. Am using DDR ECC memory.

I've tried installing RH7.3 and woody under the following conditions, and both fail at one of the previously mentioned points:
- hard drive on MB's primary ide, cd writer on MB's secondary ide
- hard drives on promside pci ide controller (no raid)
- hard drives on 3ware pci ide raid card, configured JBOD
cd writes on MB's primary and secondary ide

I've searched the mailing list archives high and low looking for problems that matched mine; but the only thing I've found was a post saying to use bf2.4 and one pointing to some other files to use:

Peter, Try this one
http://people.debian.org/~blade/boot-floppies/cvs/boot-bf2.4-with-basedebs.iso <http://people.debian.org/%7Eblade/boot-floppies/cvs/boot-bf2.4-with-basedebs.iso>
This works for me on every think I have tried it in.

Can't figure out what to do with this one: doesn't boot and neither do any of the images on it.

Wont work with this crap without additional modules. See
http://www.debian.org/~blade/install/preload/ <http://www.debian.org/%7Eblade/install/preload/>.

This didn't help either; but it doesn't seem like I should need it if the hard drive is just on the MB's ide.