Re: Bits from the RNE

hi everybody

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 09:44:19PM +0100, Rob Bradford wrote:
> As Joey prepares 3.0r1 I believe this would be a good oppurtunity to
> make request for feedback and alterations abount/for the release notes.

(funny that you would ask right about when I was going to write)

<disclaimer>
I may have overlooked some document(s)
</disclaimer>

one big difference between potato and woody is in the availability of CDs:
now they can be downloaded using jigdo; but the release notes do
not mention this (big) improvement; so people that are upgrading their
system may not notice it

so you may add a line in the release notes, and tell people to give
a look in www.debian.org/CD

the installation guide may be improved as well:
it just says

<<By far the easiest way to install Debian GNU/Linux is from an Official
 Debian CD-ROM Set (see the CD vendors page). You may also download the
 CD-ROM images from the Debian server and make your own set, if you
 have a fast network connection and a CD burner. >>

I would change both the installation guide and the release
notes, and  add a link; the installation guide may be changed to:

<<By far the easiest way to install Debian GNU/Linux is from an
 Official Debian CD-ROM Set. You may buy a set from a vendor
 (read http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/ for a list of such vendors);
 you may also download the
 CD-ROM images from the Debian server and make your own set, if you
 have a fast network connection and a CD burner; but we recommend
 that you read the documents at http://www.debian.org/CD/ before.>>

 ---

there is another problem: neither the release notes, nor the
installation notes,  tell the answer to this question

"which CDs are needed for a small installation and which for a full one?"

the answer is buried deep in

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/index.en.html#which-cd
http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/index.en.html#nonus

and it took me some time to find it. I may add that the answer
http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/index.en.html#nonus
is also not very clear to me, but this is a problem with my english.

I think IMHO that this is a relevant info: the installation note
 should probably say something like that:

<<to install  Debian 3.0 you may use CDs sets.
 A full CD set for Debian 3.0 is composed of 7 CDs, containing binary
 code; the source code for Debian 3.0 packages is in 7 CDs. To install
 Debian, you don't necessarily need all the 7 CDs. etc etc>>

and the release note may as well mention that the Debian 3.0 is
in 7 binary CDs, 7 source CDs

also, they may explain the difference between binary-1-NONUS
and binary-1 a little; something like

<<if you live in the US, the first CD in a set is called
  binary-1, otherwise  binary-1-NONUS >>

> Please send your corrections/fixes preferably as diff against the
> version in cvs ->
> debian-boot/boot-floppies/documentation/release-notes.sgml.

sorry I don't know SGML... :-( my fault

bye and thanks

a.

--
Andrea Mennucc
 "E' un mondo difficile. Che vita intensa!" (Tonino Carotone)