How to handle dependencies on unreleased packages?

I'm getting ready to commit my changes that make anna and main-menu
share Packages-file parsing code. They do so by a function in libd-i.
This means that if you want to build anna or main-menu after I've
committed, you first have to build and install the new libd-i, which is
still unreleased.

Should I let anna and main-menu build-depend on libdebian-installer-dev
(>= 0.04) so you'll be forced to rebuild libd-i first? Is that enough,
or should I add an explicit binary dependency on libdebian-installer (>=
0.04) too?

Regards,
Martin