Re: Boot floppy install issue

Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 08:44:38AM -0700 wrote:
> Hello,
>    I have an IBM Thinkpad 755c with no CDRom, but i do have a pcmcia nic.
> I am trying to
> do the floppy install from the internet. I down loaded the files,

> introduction screen with "boot:" at the bottom. At this prompt i typed
> "rescue root=/dev/hda1"

If you are trying to install you shouldn't use the rescue boot
argument, nor should you specify the root device.

The rescue,root combination above will work if you already have a
linux system installed on /dev/hda1 and want to boot into it to repair
something.

> and hit enter. the laptop begins to boot up and lots of type gos by then
> it stops with this error:
>

> VFS: Mounted root (vfat filesystem) readonly.
> freeing unused kernel memory:280k freed
> warning: unable to open an initial console.
> kernel panic: no init found. try passing init= option to kernel"

This is what it looks like if Linux gets random data and tries to
interpret it as a root filesystem.

In short, just hit enter at the boot: prompt and insert root.bin when
prompted.

-David