segfaults with base install

Greetings,

First off, I sincerely apologize if this is already covered in a thread--I
haven't been around here long enough but nothing came up in an archive
search.  In summary, my problem is with two of the minimal cd installers,
as well as the full jigdo 3.0 images.  I'm a little stubborn in that
I don't want to use the floppies just yet.  I would rather help out to
get this optical process working flawlessly, and offer my trials here as
debugging wisdom.  Not that any of it is really wise, I would appreciate
any help to give more precise useful information in the future.  Sorry,
here are the details:

	# SYSTEM SPECS:
	# /proc/pci
	Host bridge: Intel 82439TX
	ISA birdge: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA
	IDE interface: Intel 82371AB PIIX4
	USB Controller: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 USB; IRQ:12
	Bridge: Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI
	Ethernet controller: Intel 82557; IRQ:10
	VGA compat controller: S3 Inc. ViRGE; IRQ:11

	# /proc/cpu
	Pentium MMX
	stepping: 2
	MHz: 233.866
	f00f_bug: yes
	flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 mmx

	# /proc/interrupts
	0:	timer
	1:	keyboard
	2:	cascade
	10:	eth0
	13:	fpu
	14:	ide0
	15:	ide1

	# /proc/dma
	4:	cascade

It is my intention to later run the system from a ramdisk loaded by cdrom,
so I am without disk swap.  My hda is partitioned at 650_MB.

For each of these images downloaded, I verified the md5sum after download
but before burning, and after burning them I used dd to extract the
image and re-verify it.

The problems first turned up when installing the base system over
the network.  Using different mirrors, here is a list of the different
errors I have received so far:

	# From the alt-f4 vt: "Segmentation fault"    [most frequent
	error]

	"sh: relocation error: sh: symbol @up2, version GLIBC_2.0 not
	defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference"

	"/usr/sbin/debootstrap: /usr/lib/deboo$st'p: not found"

I know, not very specific.  I tested various mirrors to make sure the
source of the problem wasn't the network itself, but ultimately tried
again using Jidgo.  Using the image created by jigdo, here is what I
see on vt4 when beginning to do the base install:

	Segmentation Fault
	md5sum: -: Is a directory
	rm: /target: is a directory
	md5sum: -: Is a directory

At the same time this happens, here is the corresponding error on vt1:

	file:/instmnt/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.2.5-6_i386.deb was corrupt

And vt2:

	(none) user.err dbootstrap[76]:
	file:/instmnt/pool/main/g/glibc/libc6_2.2.5-6_i386.deb was corrupt

I used Memtest to verify the RAM, and Spinrite to verify the disk drive.
I have 254_MB of RAM, and the hard drive is a Seagate Medalist 8420 8_GB
(Ontrack is running...).

My next test is to replace the hard disk, but I don't yet have one
readily available.

I hope this information is useful--I would love to get Linux working
on this computer.  Please let me know if there is more information I
can provide.

best wishes,
hank