Re: [d-i] debconf, partitioning widget?

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:10:55AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * Philip Blundell
>
> | On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 00:58, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> | > in order to get debian-installer into working shape, it is obvious
> | > that the user has some way to partition the hard drive.  An
> | > auto-partitioner will probably only need debconf as it's UI.  However,
> | > manual partitioning using debconf will be very painful.  Developing a
> | > debconf partitioning widget might be a little overkill, so I am not
> | > sure how we want to solve this challenge.
> | >
> | > Does anybody have a suggestion on how to solve this problem?
>
> (please respect my M-F-T)
>
> | How about writing a handful of frontends for libparted, so that we have
> | one similar in style to each debconf frontend?  Do we think that parted
> | will be stable enough to use as the sole partitioning program for a
> | debian-installer based release?
>
> I've still had parted segfault on me -- a partitioner must absolutely
> not do that.  I am Cc-ing the parted package maintainer so he can
> voice his opinion.

I've hardly ever had parted segfault, and the bugs which caused it to do
so on one or two occasions have been fixed ...

The bigger issue is that parted is very strict about the partition
tables it reads, so parted will not work well with inconsistent / dodgy
partition tables which may have been caused by other programs. The
ability to resize filesystems in the installer would be _very_ cool,
however, but there may need to be a fallback method to normal fdisk ...

> Apart from it segfaulting occasionally and having a semi-horrible API,
> it should be ok-ish. :)

What are your problems with the parted API? I think it's been pretty
well designed, myself (well, having worked with it from the library
side, anyway)

Cheers,

Timshel

--