Re: Fwd: SCSI-disk

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 01:04:10PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from "A.T.J. van den Broek" <tvdbroek@tsc.leica.nl> -----
>
> Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:39:53 +0200
> From: "A.T.J. van den Broek" <tvdbroek@tsc.leica.nl>
> To: debian-boot@lists.debian.org
> Subject: SCSI-disk
>
> Hello,
>
> my name is Ton van den Broek, software engineer at Leica Microsystems Lithography in Best, the Netherlands. Right now we are using OS-9 as operating system, but since we are losing our faith in it
> we are considering moving to Linux. We are using an MVME2604 Power PC board, and it looks like Debian is the only one supporting this board. I've downloaded your bootfull.bin from 16 may 2002,
> 10:12, and boot the CPU-board with TFTP.
> That is working, but it doesn't recognize the SCSI-harddisk, which means the end of installing Linux. The drive and cable must be allright, because OS-9 does recognize it.
> For your information I have included the two bootsessions here, first the Linux one, then the OS-9 one.

<snip>

I forwarded your post to debian-powerpc also, hoping someone with MVME experience
might help.

It sounds a lot like the cases in i386 where a given hardware module isn't
compiled into the kernel.

Since you're network-connected, assuming you get the installer
booting, you could try going right to Configure the Network, and then
installing the kernel and modules via the network, then see if the
module you need is in the list when you Configure the modules.