Re: Debian PReP boot-floppies.

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 11:32:54AM +0200, Stephan Marguet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	Luckily I have found a useful web site helping for this very
> problem, in case there are any others experiencing similar:
>
> 	http://people.debian.org/~bottoms/Debian-VME-PPC.html
>
> 	(configuring /etc/inittab and /etc/network should be added to steps)
>
> 	But it relies on base2_2.tgz.  Perhaps the 3.0 people would be so
> kind as to make a base3_0.tgz (the .debs are not as useful for those
> with no previous debian installations) for those of us that broken
> boot-floppies leave behind?

Well, you can still do the same thing that doc does, you just have to install
debootstrap to do it. We just finished putting together instructions for this
on the list, check the last few days, or the end result in CVS preparing.sgml.
Basically instead of using tar to unpack the tarball, you can use debootstrap
to unpack it, or just point debootstrap at a Debian mirror and forget about
getting the tarball. debootstrap creates the entire filesystem in its target
folder, which in your case would be tftpboot/<ip-address>/ .

> > Stephan Marguet <marguet@esrf.fr> writes:
> >
> > > 	We are currently trying to install debian on a diskless MVME 2400
> > > system using the debian boot-floppies you have created.  Unfortunately,
> > > after the kernel discovers it is on a serial console, bootfull.bin's
> > > install prog proceeds rather slowly, at the rate of perhaps 15 chars
> > > appearing at once every 10 seconds or so.  Is there a way I can eliminate

I ran into something similar on a powermac serial install. The serial
line was unstable, because OpenFirmware had set the port to 38400 and the
kernel default setting was 9600. I added a boot argument to set the
kernel to 38400, and things were much better.