Re: Devices conflict & modconfs

> > Having asked for es1371 and usbaudio, modconf decided arbitrary to
> > place usbaudio before es1371 in modules.conf.
>
> You mean /etc/modules. But afaik modconf stores the lines in the order
> of loading them in the first time.

You got it, i mistook /etc/modules and /etc/modules.conf.

> > I think that modconf could be a little smarter, and order things
> > differently by default (i.e. at least if no --load-before or
> > --load-after directive is given): OSS and ALSA modules should be
> > loaded before usbaudio.
>
> To do so, we would have to catalogue all drivers and assign different
> "quality levels" to them. Later, this information could be used to sort
> entries. But, the gain of a such change is very low, and I (speaking
> for me only) won't do such work.

I am not that ambitious.
I thougt of a modules priority file '/etc/modules/modules-priority.conf'
this way:

---------8<--------------
# Syntax:
# module_to_load_first : module_to_load_last

es1371 : audio
es1370 : audio

--------->8--------------

Modconf would just use its own --load-before and --load-after internal
facilities according to this file.
But a manual --load-before parameter command given to the modconf command
line would override any priority set in modules-priority.conf.

This file should not be exhaustive at first. And it could be filled in an
incremental way, according to users remarks ("hey, my XXX driver should
be loaded before YYY!" => one more line in modules-priority.conf).

Do you find this handling correct and cheap enough?

The main cost (after coding :)) is another file in /etc/modules.
But today, modconf generates a non-working loading order in some cases,
and my proposal would handle this.

Regards,

Xavier de Labouret