Re: Devices conflict & modconf

#include <hallo.h>
Xavier de Labouret wrote on Wed Jun 26, 2002 um 01:40:00PM:

> This is a mail i posted yesterday to debian-user, about a small bug i
> found in modconf (Woody version), and a solution proposal. The bug relies
> on default modules loading order.

Which bug?

> I recently had a conflict between my webcam (Logitech 3000 Pro), and my
> SB 128 sound card. I wonder if i should file a bug report against modconf
> (i am using Debian Woody) because of it.
>
> The trouble was that i had no sound at all, even if i asked the right
> modules to load.

In which way is there a problem of modconf? Modconf is there to help you
whatever). If you do not load them in the right order, you have to face
a such problem. You can use modconf to unload the modules and then load
them in the appropriate order.

> After some investigations, it appeared that my webcam has a microphone in
> it, handled by the 'usbaudio' module. And this module reclaimed
> /dev/audio, because it was loaded before 'es1371'.

Sorry, you computer does, what you tell it to do. Modconf does not do
any kind of hardware detection, so it does not know that the driver
cannot play sound, only record.

> But i think it would be much better, if, by default, it loaded OSS and
> ALSA modules before usbaudio. 'By default' meaning, at least, if no

Wrong. usbaudio is only a helper module, it can only be used by other
soundcard drivers to _play_ sound. If it did not work as expected in
your case, this case would still not hit the majority of the users.

> parameter is given to modconf to change the modules loading order.

Once again - who or what did load the first driver and usbaudio?
Modconf? I doubt, es1371 has nothing to do with USB.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Du spielst zuviel Quake wenn...
...Du unten im Treppenhaus stehst und fluchst