Hang on initializing swap partition

Group, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get Debian installed on this laptop?

In advance, I really do appreciate the help.

Jim

----- Forwarded by Jim Rice on 05/31/2002 08:23 AM -----

Wouter,

Thank you for your help and for pointing out the other consoles.  They were extremely helpful.

I let it run all night.  No luck.  In checking out /var/log/messages, it seems that the process hung shortly after it started.  There was no further activity logged.

Prior to this attempt, I did do a low-level test of the hard drive with a utility from IBM.  The utility did not report any errors, so I figure the drive is ok.

I appreciate your help and will follow this up on the list.

Thanks,

Jim

On Thu, 30 May 2002 jim.rice@akuratus.com wrote:

> Thank you for the rapid response.
>
> So far it has been going for over an hour.  It is only a 2 GB drive.

If it's still going right now, you can be sure it's hanging. There will
probably be some useful information on the other virtual consoles; use
'Alt-F3' and/or 'Alt-F4' to check that information.

If that doesn't help you, do follow up on this to the debian-boot
mailinglist. I'm not too experienced with boot-floppies...

For comparison, on my Pentium 166 with a 1.6GB hard disk, it took about
five to ten minutes, IIRC, to do the bad blocks test of 80MB. 256MB
shouldn't take over an hour.

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"