Debian-installer : is there a leader or a plan ?

Hi,
I was working on partkit, for detecting harddrives with discover, when I
read autopartkit code. It does all I wanted to do. Good.

But I feel there is something weird in current debian-installer. There is a
lot of tools, which are unfinished, and a lot of them do almost the same
thing. It's quite frustating to work on a project and then learn that
it's not used anymore (kdetect for example).

Maybe a plan or a leader is needed.

For the moment, I have seen those problems :
* libd-i is not used/released, but some tools are using a copy of its
functions : ddetect, netcfg
* kdetect is dead, discover already does all that is needed.
* lmod-detect-pci is dead too. discover is there.
* autopartkit and parkit should share some code
* select-device should use libdiscover or should be drop, since autopartkit
re-implements it with parted.

Sorry, if all of this is already known, but for me, I'm needing a good doc
which explains which tool does what, and for developpers, what library I
can use and which parts of tools need to be shared.

Thanks.

--
Thomas Poindessous
thomas@poindessous.com