Re: mounting root over nfs

Mon, May 06, 2002 at 06:31:01PM +0200 wrote:
> > I am using vanilla bootdisks, with rescue.bin and
> > root.bin from 01-apr-2002 03:17. I am trying to mount
> > root over NFS.

> > Should this not be working? Am I doing something
> > terribly wrong?
>
> I am going to answer myself here. I had to pre-load
> sunrpc.o, lockd.o and nfs.o, in that order. I could not
> find this mentioned anywhere in the Debian install
> manual, maybe this should be added.

Glad to hear you got farther, a patch would be appreciated, or at
least file a bug.

> Anyway, this got me further along the road. Only now,
> when the install tries to install the rescue floppy, it
> crashes and burns.
>
> "Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual
> address d85f71f8"  (bla bla bla process: zcat)

looks like out of memory.

> I didnt have any way of cutting and pasting the oops,
> sorry. I might add that the box has 16mb ram, and no
> configued swap.

At this point you may need either more RAM, or to build your own
disks.  This bug has a patch that might be helpful:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=119753&repeatmerged=yes

David