Re: Can't boot ReiserFS system after installing

#include <hallo.h>
Vadim wrote on Sat Apr 27, 2002 um 12:27:48AM:

> I've installed woody with the 2.4 kernel just fine. However, after

Give more infos! Which harddisk, which release of boot-floppies
(latest?). Which filesystem did you use for /? Did you mount other
filesystems? You can create a log (Called "Problem Report") within the
installer, please create a such one during the installation and append
the resulting archive to your answer (file called dbg_log.tgz).

> cramfs: wrong magic

Sounds like tests for a valid filesystem failed, kernel tries
alternatives like cramfs and fat.

> Directory 1: Bad FAT

The disk may be damaged. In some cases, toasted filesystem are
recognised as sth. like FAT by the filesystem driver.

> Filesystem panic (dev 03:01)

3:01 is /dev/hda1. Is this the correct partition for /?

>    FAT error
> VFS: mounted root (vfat filesystem) readonly
> Freeing unused kernel memory
> Kernel panic: no init found
>
> I also tried booting the installer, starting a shell and running 'mount
> /dev/hda1 disk', and it was mounted as FAT. Of course ls then produced a
> lot of garbage. If I pass '-t reiserfs' it works just fine.

According to /proc/filesystems, vfat is tried before reiserfs when using
autodetection. Weird. Please check mkreiserfs version on your
boot-floppies. As workaround, you could pass kernel argument
rootfstype=reiserfs (see "Edit kernel arguments") step.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
> [Microsoft wirbt:] "Ein offenes Betriebssystem kann schon mal mutieren."
Mutieren tun vor allem MS-proprietäre Dateiformate.