Can't boot ReiserFS system after installing

I'm not subscribed to this list, please CC me.

I've installed woody with the 2.4 kernel just fine. However, after
rebooting for some reason the kernel tries to mount / as FAT, and of
course panics. Here are the kernel messages (may not be completely
exact, I had to copy by hand):

NET4: Unix domain sockets
cramfs: wrong magic
request_module[nls_cp437] Root not mounted
unable to load charset 437
(a few more nls errors)
Directory 1: Bad FAT
Filesystem panic (dev 03:01)
   FAT error
VFS: mounted root (vfat filesystem) readonly
Freeing unused kernel memory
Kernel panic: no init found

I also tried booting the installer, starting a shell and running 'mount
/dev/hda1 disk', and it was mounted as FAT. Of course ls then produced a
lot of garbage. If I pass '-t reiserfs' it works just fine.