Re: Some problems and questions...

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> I'm pretty sure you aren't responsible for these issues, but you are one
> of the more responsive members of the BF team, so I'm hoping you will be
> able to point me in right directions.
>
> 1. Primary problem is with modules on the new (3.0.22 2002-04-01) boot
>    floppies image.
>
>      A. During boot up of the rescue kernel, many messages about not being
>         able to read modules.dep, file not found.

Yes, this is kernel spam that's rather hard to suppress.  There is a
potential fix in
<URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2002/debian-boot-200201/msg00223.html>.

Anyone up on klogctl ?  Should we apply that patch?

>      B. After installing the drivers from CD, there is an informational
>         message indicating that drivers may already be loaded.

No idea what that's about.  Seems like it should be filed as a bug.

>      C. The "modconf" window never comes up. The install returns to the
>         next step in the process.

That seems absolutely crippling to me, e.g., a Serious or higher
boot-floppies bug.  Does this happen on any particular flavor for
i386?  all flavors?

> Now, A isn't much of a problem, just confusing for new users, unless no
> modules are actuall being loaded because of this. On the other hand, B is
> simply confusing. C is a problem for my screen shot collection, but will
> only impact those installs needing CD drivers, etc...
>
> I think I have a screen shot from a previous set of boot floppies that I
> can use in my book, but it would be nice if this worked ;-)

It absolutely must work, or lots of people won't be able to
install. E.g., download from net, need to load drivers for this or
that, etc.

> 2. After the reboot, following the base install, I get a lot of screen
>    shots messed up because the kernel likes to throw "Neighbour Table
>    Overflow" error messages all over the screen.

Well, I haven't even seen this.  Are you using per chance the bf2.4
flavor?  This should be filed as a bug against the kernel-image-*
package which is relevant.

> I don't ever see this with my custom kernels, but seem to always see it on
> the installation kernel, and have heard from other local users that this
> error happens all the time and they simply ignore it.

Well, there are different "installation kernels" we use on i386, a
different 2.2.x version for most flavors, and a 2.4 one for the bf2.4
flavor.

>     A. What causes the error?
>
>     B. Can the error be re-directed elsewhere?

klogctl might be able to be used to do that, but I'm not a good one to
solve that.

>     C. Is there some other choice besides building a custom kernel?

Use a different flavor?

> This problem is pre-potato, so I'm not very hopeful that it can/will be
> fixed.

Hope springs eternal!

Oh, if it's pre-potato even, then it must be linux not liking your
hardware.  Again, I would suggest trying the bf2.4 flavor if you
haven't already.

> Is there any of this that would be aided by the submission of a bug
> report?

See above.

Thanks for your report!  The modconf issue is really troubling... I
wonder why I haven't heard that reported before...