translations too long for woody-i386-1.raw

Hi,

I tested woody-i386-1.raw from [1] as recommended by Raphael and found
one problem (for the moment).

I don't know if it is the correct list since my bugs are related to the
french translation (but may happen in other translations).

The french translation of the screen "Sélectionnez le point de montage"
(select mount point) is problematic. The tranlation for the third line
(partition_config.c:689) is "Données variables comme les bases de données
ou les files d'attente de courriel.". As you can see the sentence is
long. All I see is:
   ": Données variables [...] de courrie"

I am missing the important beginning containing (I suspect) the point
point /var.

I have the same problem with bootconfig.c:2506. I just see:
   "ev/hda1: Installer sur dans ... démarrage."
(note there is a mistake in the translation)

This is also related to #138679 "boot-floppies: messages too long"

I would be a good idea to check *all* the translated messages when the
translated size is greater than the original english version.

One "easy" way to do it is create a foobar translation (fb) containing
the english text padded up to the longest translation with the
transalation name ('fr' for example). So the text will be understood by
anybody and the culprit will be easily spotted.
Example:
#: partition_config.c:689
msgid "Variable data such as mail spools and databases."
msgstr "Variable data such as mail spools and databases.frfrfrfrfrfrfrfrfrfrfr"
"frfrfrfrf"

[1] http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/debian-cd/woody-i386-1.raw

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau                        Ludovic.Rousseau@free.fr
 -- Normaliser Unix c'est comme pasteuriser le Camembert, L.R. --