Re: Installing Debian on a remote server (without physical access)

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 11:05:29AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> "Morten W. Petersen" <morten@thingamy.net> cum veritate scripsit:
>
> > I've created & formatted a new partition for the Debian installation,
> > and I'm now wondering how to install & configure the base system so
> > that the box can be rebooted and upon reboot run (a very basic)
> > Debian with ssh access.
>
> extract the base system, chroot inside the base system,
> massage some files (network-related config files, password files etc.)
> and configure the kernel.

OK, is there an 'overview' anywhere of what files pertain to for example
networking?

> However, if you fail, it wouldn't boot back. So it is always advisable
> to do installs locally if possible.

Well, I have the option of using what is referred to as a 'swede button'
by us norwegian, an online 'powerswitch' so that the server can be
rebooted.  That in combination with 'lilo -R debian' should be
relatively safe.  :)

Thanks,

Morten