trying to clean up a bit with the questions concerning 'Initialize...'

Hi

I am now trying to stick together all the questons which has been arising
about the 'Initialize a..' bug. Hope this helps to clean up a bit. So here we
go.

*Chris Tillman asked:*

>> Well, if it doesn't get fixed, it would mean that a whole release would be
>> uninstallable by network for all the x-surf users outthere without tricking
>> around? (but to be fair: there doesn't seem to be too much users with a
>> x-surf NIC, so I can understand your point!)
>>

> If it really is a kernel issue, that's pretty easy to fix (for us). If it's
> a dbootstrap bug, that's where we'll have difficulty, with no developers
> on that architecture.
>
> That's why I'm curious to see if you can mke2fs and mount from console 2;
> if so, it's probably dbootstrap and hard, if not it's probably kernel and
> easy.

As I wrote in my bug report afterwards, it does work with mke2fs totally
problemfree.

So, it seems to be dbootstrap and hard..

*Chris Tillman asked:*

>> I was told that this bug should have already been fixed after 3.0.19, but this
>> doesn't seem to be case, at least not for apus flavor.
>>
>> Interesting thing is that everything works normally with apus kernel 2.4.9.
>
> Hmmm. I just had a look at the APUS notes at
>
> disks-powerpc/current/apus/install.txt
>
> It looks like maybe Sven never got that part to work, he says use the AmigaOS
> partitioner. Are you still around here, Sven?

Oh, I think you mean partition here? Yes, that has to be done on the AmigaOS
side. But I can't format a linux partition under AmigaOS, so this has to be
done by the installer system. But, this leads me to the question: what is
dbootstrap doing asides mke2fs when selecting this ominous 'Initialize a..'?

I tried to find out by myself, but couldn't find the init_linux() method which
seems to be called when executing this menu entry.

*Michel Dänzer said:*

>> I've already reported this problem with bf-3.0.19 to both of these lists. On
>> linux-apus-devel I was told this would be a kernel issue,
>
> Well, I said it seems to be a kernel issue, seeing as it works with one
> kernel but not the other.

Aieeeh. Now we have a statement against statement. Chris claims it dbootstrap
related, Michel kernel related. I'm jumping out of the line of fire now!!

But thinking about the 2.4.9 vs. 2.4.17 thingy, I am going to belief it could
be kernel related after all.

*Adam Di Carlo said:*

>> After initializing the swap partition, it is not possible to execute
>> the point "Initialize a Linux Partition". After selecting this point
>> in the menu, the screen goes1
> black, and the installer system
>> restarts!
>
> Isn't this caused by my build with bad versions of pmac-fdisk and
> other *fdisk packages?

No idea!

> Please try the version 3.0.21.0.1, now available at
> <URL:#http://people.debian.org/~aph/boot-floppies-woody/disks-powerpc/current/#>.

I am going to try this!

Did I forget anything?

--
Thanks for all your help and understanding!! Hope we can find an easy solution
for this. Kind regards, and aging thank you,