Re: debootstrap NMU 0.1.16.3

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 09:40:30AM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > Don't skip the first part.
> If you want a separated bug report for each thing, okay.

I want to know what you're actually trying to do, so I can be sure not
to break that when I try to fix whatever you've inadvertantly broken.

> > In particular,
> >   * require newer makedev, fixes build problems on m86k and arm
> >   * added additional devices to the device list, especially input and usb
> >     needed for modern device drivers (Joysticks, USB, Scanners)
> > breaks basedebs building, and I have no way of telling exactly what the
> > problem was you're trying to solve.
> Which problem? A base system comes out-of-the box without any device
> files for the "input"-style drivers. Is this wise,

Look, I don't care about the arguments -- that's for the people who're
spending their time working on boot-floppies to grok. I just want to
know what they actually *are*.

In particular, the new MAKEDEV dependency stopped the binary-basedebs target
from working on potato systems, which includes ftp-master, which happens
to be where I build basedebs tarballs. I happened to be able to work out how
to avoid building the devices tarball at all, in this case, avoiding the
issue.

But the point is: if you're make an NMU, make sure the problem you're
trying to solve is in the BTS.

> > Also, base is _not_ up for random additions.
> >   * added pppoeconf to the packages list, better choice for DSL users
> As said. There was a good chance to ask and stop the package.

And I would've had you bothered to file a bug about this so I could
actually tell why you were trying to do something and evaluate if it's
worthwhile. But you didn't, so I couldn't.

NMUs are great, but for them to work, you need to go out of your way to
make sure the maintainer's in the loop.

-boot put back in the cc's, because I suspect other boot-floppies hackers
will want to NMU debootstrap in the future too.

Cheers,
aj

We came. We Saw. We Conferenced. http://linux.conf.au/

  ``Debian: giving you the power to shoot yourself in each
       toe individually.'' -- with kudos to Greg Lehey