Re: non-i18n'd arches

On Sun, 2002-03-03 at 20:51, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 07:48:00PM +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
> > I see that sparc, mips, hppa and m68k have not yet enabled the
> > LANGUAGE_CHOOSER.  Is there any particular reason for that?  It would be
> > good to have i18n on as many architectures as possible by the time we
> > release.
>
> Speaking for m68k, its not enabled, because I never heard about that (not
> consciously at least). Whats the impact, do we need extra packages, more
> documentation or is it just one switch and everything works?

The only requirements I can think of are:

 - framebuffer support in your kernel (should be no problem for m68k)
 - packages like libnewt-utf8-0 need to have been built for your
architecture

Other than that, it should just be a case of adding "m68k" to the list
of architectures in this part of the config file:

# whether to use the language chooser in dbootstrap for kernel flavours
that
# support it, `true' or `false'
ifneq (,$(filter $(architecture),i386 arm powerpc alpha))
    export USE_LANGUAGE_CHOOSER := true
    export LC := true
else
    export USE_LANGUAGE_CHOOSER := false
    export LC := false
endif

You used to have to edit rootdisk.sh as well but it looks like that is
no longer the case.

Try it and see how you get on; I expect it will just work.  You may also
want to tailor the list of included languages a bit further down in
config, depending on how much space you have available in your root
image.  By default you will get the same "top ten" that i386 uses.

p.