Re: Out of space - drop one language

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 05:15:29PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:

Hello Eduard,

> > core:~# zcat devices.tar.gz |gzip -9|wc -c
> >   40158
> > core:~# zcat devices.tar.gz |gzip -9|gzip -9|wc -c
> >   24104
> Weird, weird.

I think this is because of the relative small blocks of data gzip uses.
With bzip2 it looks a little bit better.

> > so it seems to me that tar don't use the -9 option
> >
> > the root-image is compresses with -9, so this could save space
>
> Yes, it is already compressed twice. Nothing or not much to get here.

core:~# zcat devices.tar.gz |gzip|gzip -9|wc -c
  27559
core:~# zcat devices.tar.gz |gzip -9|gzip -9|wc -c
  24104

not much in terms of modern harddisks, but possibly more then 600 byte ;)
I'll check this out, when I get the boot floppies to build (i think i
have to upgrade to sid first and newer makedev).

> > line 358:
> >  "tar zcf $devtarball dev" -> "tar c dev|gzip -9>$devtarball"
> Err, no $devtarball is used for build only. The tarball on the rootfs
> comes from debootstrap.

Ok, but it is the same (line 69 in the debootstrap Makefile).

Christian Leber
--
  "Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
   nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est."       (Aurelius Augustinus)