Re: makiing boot-floppies in a clean chroot

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 09:09:57AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> > sid + whiptail + libnewt-utf8-0 libnewt-utf8-dev libnewt-utf8-pic
> > is not happy. since whiptail wants libnewt0, which conflicts with the
> > rest.
>
> whiptail-utf8 is the one required to be installed, not whiptail.

i noticed whiptail-utf8 after posting, but some issues:

cthulhu:/# apt-cache show modconf | grep ^Dep
Depends: whiptail, modutils (>= 2.1.85-14)
cthulhu:/# apt-cache show whiptail-utf8 | grep ^Prov
Provides: whiptail-provider

so by my reckoning, either modconf needs to depend upon
whiptail-provider (possibly in addition to whiptail), or whiptail-utf8
needs to provide whiptail

i can submitt bugs, but i'd prefer to know that i am not total off base
here

i had previously --forced in whiptail, and things build. i'm now
thinking that it was a mistake, and am trying to undo that, but modconf
is really not letting me.

downgrading whiptail to 0.50.17-9.2, then installing whiptail-utf8
0.50.17-9.4 caused an error when the latter tried to overwrite
/usr/share/man/man1/whiptail.1.gz

HEY! when did modconf no longer become required? removing that solved
all those problems...

i'm strongly reconsidering make a brand new chroot.

-john