Re: mipsel boot-floppies

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 02:03:30PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

> I tried the tftpimage-r3k-kn02 image on my DECstation 5000/125.  First
> of all, the two problems noted by Flo (see [0]) are still there.  It
> should be documented that you might have to add a static address with
> arp.  When I booted, I simply got:
>
>     >>boot 3/tftp/tftpboot/tftpimage-r3k-kn02 console=ttyS2 ip=bootp
>     2113536?IO: 3/tftp, a.out err (-5)
>
> "/usr/sbin/arp -s 10.0.0.12 <mac-address>" fixed it.

This happens on some DECstations firmware revisions because of a firmware
bug: during tftp transfer, the firmware does not respond to arp requests,
so you get an arp timeout. I will add a hint regarding this problem to the
boot-floppies documentation.

> Secondly, it still hangs (or waits a long time) after showing
>
>     DECstation LK keyboard driver v0.04...
>
> I got bored with waiting and plugged in my keyboard but this should
> definitely be fixed.  Maciej said he was going to fix by lowering the
> timeout, but obviously he hasn't yet.

Ok, that is a Linux/MIPS kernel bug. I always have a keyboard plugged in,
so this did not happen to me.

> Then, I get loads of messages that /lib/modules/2.4.17-r3k-kn02/modules.dep
> doesn't exist.  While this is just a warning, it's quite irritating
> since it's displayed very often.
>
>     kmod: runaway modprobe loop assumed and stopped
>     modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.17-r3k-kn02/modules.dep (No such file or dire)
>     modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.17-r3k-kn02/modules.dep (No such file or dire)

This is a generic boot-floppies problem, which also happens on other
arches - at that point of time the modules dependencies file is not
yet built.

> My biggest problems with dbootstrap was that my cursor keys were not
> working properly.  Pressing enter and typing in text (e.g. for the
> host name) worked without any problems at all, but cursor up and down
> didn't work at all and cursor left and right only sometimes.  This
> might be caused by an incorrect miniconf configuration, but I really
> don't know.  Apparently you cannot use "j" and "k" to navigate around,
> so I stopped since I was only available to choose the first entry in a
> menu... has anyone see this while doing an install via serial console?

Strange, I had tried serial console installs before on my 5000/150 and
it worked without problems. I have just tried it again, using a PC
running cu as serial terminal, and all keys work as expected. Could you
try it using cu? I will try it again with an original DEC VT420, which
I had also tested before and which also had worked seamlessly.

Regards,
Karsten
--
#include <standard_disclaimer>